Royal Visit May 1927 - mounted police riding past Naval amd Army formations outside Parliament House during rehearsal.
The National Archives of Australia
Parliament House was opened in Canberra in May 1927 by the Duke and Dutchess of York. The Prime Minister invited Australian States to participate in the policing of the event. Most states sent three constables and two detectives for duty, though the majority of the force came from New South Wales who policed Canberra at the time. Records indicate that over two hundred foot police and mounted police were on duty at the opening of Federal Parliament. Their royal highnesses went on tour around Australia and some of the police who were on duty for the opening of Federal Parliament then continued to assist with the Royal Tour.