First Contingent of Commonwealth Police (FCT) sworn in on 28 September 1927
Seated L-R: Sergeant P Cook, Major H Jones, Constable Bottrell; Roy Brodribb (right motorbike), Roy Hughes (on Horse);
others: William Fellowes, Alfed Davies, Claude Bailey, Charles Priestly, Augustus Weiss, Ivan Perriman, William Tandy, Edwards Bresnan
Australian Federal Police Museum
The Commonwealth Police (Federal Capital Territory)‚ which
became the ACT Police, was established in 1927 to take over policing
duties from the NSW Police. Two NSW Police Officers and 10 Peace Officer
Guards were transferred under the leadership of Major H E Jones of the CIB
(whose appointment was probably a cover for his activities as Australia’s first master spy). He was paid an extra £18 a year for his police work.
The first court in Canberra, seen here behind the group, was located at
Murray Moore’s former home in Acton, opened in 1930.